I had a sponsor for just under a year, but she has now stopped sponsoring. Nothing personal I am told she just simply has her own life to lead and it's gotten incredibly busy recently. So there we are. Where does this leave me? Her advice is that we don't necessarily need sponsors after step nine. There is enough wisdom in the rooms of aa for us to get by. We should also be able to stand on our own two feet, as it were, by now. I can see the wisdom in this and it would certainly do me good not to defer all my life's decisions to my sponsor and, for the first time, take charge of my own life and trust the courage of my own convictions, which I must admit is a very new thing for me. I have a history of co-dependence with friends (and lovers) which I just don't tolerate any more now that I can see that I am not worthless, as previously thought.
So that's the good news on the co-dependency front, but what about my sponsees? What about my continuing questions about recovery? I have canvassed opinions amongst other women in AA, most of whom fundamentally disagree with this sponsor-less approach. The reason being that we all need to check we are on the right path, to defer to the experience of the more experienced. All I know is that my sponsor helped me enormously when taking me through the steps and I trust her advice, but I am flailing around somewhat without a sponsor at the moment hence the quandry. Thre is mention of spiritual advisers in the big book, but I need to check this. The jury is still out on this one as far as I am concerned.
Friday, 17 November 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment